Tuesday, May 29, 2012

This is why you don't skip troubleshooting

So today I received the Mushkin ram. Plug it all in to the board, fire up the system to do a memtest. Failed. Hmm, OK well lets try messing with the timings and voltage for an hour to see if it'll cooperate. Nada. Ok, well then I guess I'll see if it'll work with dual channel of just dimm A slots. Hmm, works just fine. Ok, lets try doing single channel of dimm B1 and dimm B1. Nope. It at least showed up as single channel in memtest, but still failed. Ok, lets try doing 3gb using dimm A1 dimm A2 and dimm B2. Nope. This time, it was still showing as dual channel (which it shouldn't because it's only got 3 slots filled) and still failed at around the same test. Out of random testing, decided to also try just the dimm B slots. Fails almost instantly. Well, I guess that the B slots aren't functioning correctly, either a phase isn't working correctly on the board for the B dimms or the memory just doesn't wish to cooperate with the motherboard for whatever reason (cpu not handshaking with the ram correctly). Contacted Newegg today to see if I can get it replaced with 2 2GB sticks instead of the 4 1GB sticks. They were kind enough to refund the tax and item price of the 4 1GB sticks as well as sent me a free way bill to ship back the ram, so I am not really losing any money on the build. This is one thing I really like about Newegg is the fact that they are willing to give you a free shipping label on DOA stuff if you ask them correctly. Maybe this will solve the headache and will allow me to have a properly overclocked board without any fuss. This is why buying used can sometimes be a bit of a gamble, but if the two dimm A's are firing properly hopefully I can get away with the 4 gb on 2 slots without memtest still continuing to fail. I should have probably checked this before sending back the Corsair ram, but I didn't bother to think that something was wrong on the board. Bit disappointed in myself at this moment because of this. Normally I don't space out on these sorts or things, but now I understand why the board was being so uncooperative in the first place. Anyway, the new Mushkin 2x2GB kit is on order now. As this is my fault, I won't be expecting anything extra from my friend that I'm building it for.

No comments:

Post a Comment